It is not difficult to see and understand that pedestrians involved in automobile accidents are more likely to suffer disastrous injuries, even when the vehicle is moving at a slow speed. The effect gets worse when the pedestrian hits their head or chest on the concrete or road.
Vehicle-pedestrian accidents are not only more fatal, they are disturbingly common on our roads. Some of our roads have no sidewalks and are not well lit at night. Although some of these accidents are the fault of the pedestrians, more often than not, drivers are negligent or distracted. That is why in the event of pedestrian accident, you should contact a personal injury lawyer as soon as you can.
Common causes of pedestrian accidents
There are various causes of pedestrian accidents on the road, but here is a list of some of the common causes:
- Distracted driving due to use of mobile devices, eating or drinking, chatting with passengers, daydreaming, or watching people and events
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Running the traffic lights
- Reckless or careless driving
- Obstruction of a driver’s view by other vehicles
- Crossing of the road by pedestrians at locations not marked by cross walks.
Most of these reasons are the fault of the vehicle driver. It is quite difficult for the driver in those circumstances to act quickly enough to avoid hitting the pedestrian.
The pedestrian is more prone to injuries following a road accident. These injuries are often experienced on the lower parts of the body more than the upper parts, especially when hit by smaller vehicles. Some of the common pedestrian injuries include-
- Broken legs, feet, ankles, knees, or hips
- Spinal cord injuries
- Brain injuries
- Chest injuries
Pedestrian accidents often result in the death of victims.
Personal injury lawyer
Delay in contacting a personal injury lawyer to handle your pedestrian accident case can prove detrimental to the success of your case. Hiring an experienced lawyer can boost the chances of your receiving full compensation and justice. Such lawyers will use their expertise to assist the victim in many ways including –
- Help with recovery of present and future lost wages;
- Obtain payment or reimbursement for medical bills;
- Assistance with getting payment for emotional trauma;
- Gain long-term disability compensation or rehabilitation;
- Get compensation for the loss of a loved one; and
- Obtaining compensation for pain and suffering and the loss of enjoyment of life.
These and other benefits may be difficult to obtain without the assistance of a qualified lawyer. It is beneficial to contact a lawyer as soon as possible following an accident and you should definitely do so before you speak to insurance companies and their agents. The insurance company is generally more interested in saving money for its business than in your welfare.
Despite being the victim of a pedestrian accident, it will be easier for your lawyer if you can provide basic information concerning the accidents like the type of vehicle, the color, identification details, time and location of the accident, and copies of the official reports of the accident.
Insist on professional, experienced and honest lawyer to help you win your pedestrian accident case.